Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park Local Nature Reserve
Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park is a public park, historic deconsecrated cemetery and local nature reserve in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets within the East End of London. It is one of the "Magnificent Seven" London cemeteries of the Victorian era, built because parish churchyards had become overcrowded. The cemetery opened in 1841 and was formally named the City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery, although it was commonly known as Bow Cemetery. It closed in 1966 after 350,000 burials. Purchased by the Greater London Council, with the intention of clearing it for a public park, it passed to Tower Hamlets Council in 1986. The Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park were formed in 1990 to protect its landscape, historic monuments and biodiversity for the benefit of the public. They registered as a charity in 2004 and manage the park on behalf of the council. Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park encompasses the original cemetery, bounded by historic walls, and additional land including the Scrap
- Location
- Tower Hamlets